- Edwards E.
- Tartak J.C.
- Khidir H.
- Savin K.
- Katz P.
- Baker M.A.
- Sheri F.
Professional Obligations to Care for Patients during a Public Health Crisis
- Frader J.R.
- Frader J.R.
- Bernstein L.
- Safarpour A.
- Maguire B.J.
- Shearer K.
- McKeown J.
- Phelps S.
- Gerard D.R.
- Handal K.A.
- et al.
- Kofman A.
- Hernandez-Romieu A.
- McBride B.
- Emergency Child Care Resources - Illinois Department of Human Services
- Elassar A.
- Alemany J.
Redeployment of Pediatricians
- Halazun H.
- Bannow T.
- Sternberg S.
Executive order N-27-20: suspension of regulatory enforcement of hospital requirements.
Clinician Workforce Well-being and Safety
- Berg S.
Psychological and Moral Identities of Clinicians during a Public Health Crisis
- Frequently asked questions - COVID-19.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html#anchor_1584386215012Date: 2020Date accessed: April 4, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on children and adolescents' lifestyle behavior larger than expected.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2020; (Apr 30, in press)
- Effects of COVID-19 lockdown on lifestyle behaviors in children with obesity living in Verona, Italy: a longitudinal study.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- New clinical needs and strategies for care in children with neurodisability during COVID-19.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2020; 62: 879-880
- At least 85 kids across U.S. have developed rare, mysterious COVID-19-linked illness.https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/least-85-kids-across-u-s-have-developed-rare-mysterious-n1202186Date: 2020Date accessed: May 5, 2020
- New spectrum of COVID-19 manifestations in children: Kawasaki-like syndrome and hyperinflammatory response.Cleve Clin J Med. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children during the COVID-19 pandemic: a case series.J Pediatr Infect Dis Soc. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.Accessed June 16, 2020)
- Guidance on Providing Pediatric Ambulatory Services via Telehealth During COVID-19.https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/guidance-on-providing-pediatric-ambulatory-services-via-telehealth-during-covid-19/Date: 2020Date accessed: April 5, 2020
- Opinion: U.S. must avoid building racial bias into COVID-19 emergency guidance.https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/21/838763690/opinion-u-s-must-avoid-building-racial-bias-into-covid-19-emergency-guidanceDate: 2020Date accessed: April 21, 2020
- Confronting disability discrimination during the pandemic.https://www.thehastingscenter.org/confronting-disability-discrimination-during-the-pandemic/Date: 2020Date accessed: April 21, 2020
- Italian hospital makes heartbreaking decision not to intubate anyone over the age of 60.New York State Department of Health, New York, NY2020
- Disability discrimination complaint filed over COVID-19 treatment rationing plan in Washington State.https://thearc.org/disability-discrimination-complaint-filed-over-covid-19-treatment-rationing-plan-in-washington-state/Date: 2020Date accessed: April 5, 2020
- The importance of addressing advance care planning and decisions about do-not-resuscitate orders during novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19).JAMA. 2020; (Mar 27 [Epub ahead of print])
- At the top of the Covid-19 curve, how do hospitals decide who gets treatment?.https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/us/coronavirus-covid-triage-rationing-ventilators.htmlDate: 2020Date accessed: April 21, 2020
- Fair allocation of scarce medical resources in the time of Covid-19.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2049-2055
- The ethics of creating a resource allocation strategy during the COVID-19 pandemic.Pediatrics. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- The mental health consequences of COVID-19 and physical distancing: the need for prevention and early intervention.JAMA Intern Med. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Do physicians have an obligation to treat patients with AIDS?.N Engl J Med. 1988; 318: 1686-1690
- Should I stay or should I go? The physician in time of crisis.Virtual Mentor. 2006; 8: 208-213
- Responding to Ebola: health care professionals' obligations to provide care.https://www.thehastingscenter.org/responding-to-ebola-health-care-professionals-obligations-to-provide-care/Date: 2014Date accessed: April 5, 2020
- AMA Principles of Medical Ethics.https://www.ama-assn.org/about/publications-newsletters/ama-principles-medical-ethicsDate accessed: April 5, 2020
- Mask shortage for most health-care workers extended into May, Post-Ipsos poll shows.https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/mask-shortage-for-most-health-care-workers-extended-into-may-post-ipsos-poll-shows/2020/05/20/1ddbe588-9a21-11ea-ac72-3841fcc9b35f_story.htmlDate: 2020Date accessed: June 10, 2020
- Shortage of personal protective equipment endangering health workers worldwide.https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/03-03-2020-shortage-of-personal-protective-equipment-endangering-health-workers-worldwideDate: 2020Date accessed: June 10, 2020
- Pandemic influenza preparedness: an ethical framework to guide decision-making.BMC Med Ethics. 2006; 7: E12
- Covid-19: cases rise in Russia as health workers pay the price for PPE shortage.BMJ (Clin Res Ed). 2020; 369: m1975
- COVID-19: doctors still at “considerable risk” from lack of PPE, BMA warns.BMJ (Clin Res Ed). 2020; 368: m1316
- The ethics of PPE and EMS in the COVID-19 era.https://www.jems.com/2020/04/10/ethics-of-ppe-and-ems-in-the-covid-19-era/Date: 2020Date accessed: June 10, 2020
- Initial experiences of US neurologists in practice during the COVID-19 pandemic via survey.Neurology. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Ethical issues in pandemic planning.Med J Australia. 2006; 185: S73-S76
- Physicians' Responsibilities in Disaster Response & Preparedness.https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/ethics/physicians-responsibilities-disaster-response-preparedness(Accessed April 5, 2020)
- Health care professionals are under no ethical obligation to treat COVID-19 patients.J Med Ethics. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Ethical guidance published for frontline staff dealing with pandemic.https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/ethical-guidance-published-frontline-staff-dealing-pandemicDate: 2020Date accessed: June 10, 2020
- Protect older and vulnerable health care workers from Covid-19.https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/25/protect-older-and-vulnerable-health-care-workers-from-covid-19/Date: 2020Date accessed: May 11, 2020
- Supporting the health care workforce during the COVID-19 global epidemic.JAMA. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Information for healthcare professionals: COVID-19 and underlying conditions.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/underlying-conditions.htmlDate: 2020Date accessed: April 4, 2020
- Memorandum: gubernatorial strategies for health care workforce and facility capacity.https://www.nga.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/NGA-Health-Workforce-and-Facility-Memo-Final-formatted.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: April 5, 2020
- COVID-19 emergency declaration blanket waivers for health care providers.https://www.cms.gov/files/document/summary-covid-19-emergency-declaration-waivers.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: April 5, 2020
- Crisis standards of care: a systems framework for catastrophic disaster response. 1. National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2012
- Message for Communities & Providers from the Governor's Office of Early Childhood Development.
- Meet the medical students who launched a program to offer childcare to hospital workers fighting the coronavirus pandemic.https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/us/minnesota-students-babysitting-health-care-workers-coronavirus-trnd/index.htmlDate: 2020Date accessed: April 7, 2020
- At Lake of the Ozarks, it's (almost) business as usual, despite the coronavirus.https://khn.org/news/missouri-lake-of-the-ozarks-business-as-usual-for-tourists-despite-pandemic/Date: 2020Date accessed: June 10, 2020
- Power up: Memorial Day weekend parties and crowds spark warnings from public health officials.https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/powerup/2020/05/26/powerup-memorial-day-weekend-parties-and-crowds-spark-warnings-from-public-health-officials/5ecc3338602ff165d3e4093e/Date: 2020Date accessed: June 10, 2020
- Choosing wisely: should past medical decisions impact the allocation of scarce ECMO resources?.Acta Paediatr. 2016; 105: 876-878
- Today, we are all Covid-19 doctors.https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/opinion/coronavirus-doctor-covid.htmlDate: 2020Date accessed: May 4, 2020
- As COVID-19 cases threaten capacity, children's hospitals resist taking adults.https://www.modernhealthcare.com/hospitals/covid-19-cases-threaten-capacity-childrens-hospitals-resist-taking-adultsDate: 2020Date accessed: May 4, 2020
- Coronavirus is causing a reshuffling of pediatric care.https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-04-10/coronavirus-is-causing-a-reshuffling-of-pediatric-careDate: 2020Date accessed: May 4, 2020
- Pediatricians show their mettle as coronavirus sweeps the nation. AAP News.https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/04/21/covidvignettes042120Date: 2020Date accessed: May 11, 2020
- Executive order N-27-20: suspension of regulatory enforcement of hospital requirements.https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHCQ/LCP/Pages/AFL-20-26.aspxDate: 2020Date accessed: April 7, 2020
- Illinois Executive Order in Response to COVID-19 - (COVID-19 Executive Order No. 17).https://www2.illinois.gov/Pages/Executive-Orders/ExecutiveOrder2020-19.aspxDate: 2020Date accessed: April 5, 2020
- Ethical considerations: care of the critically ill and injured during pandemics and disasters: CHEST consensus statement.Chest. 2014; 146: e145S-e155S
- Engagement and education: care of the critically ill and injured during pandemics and disasters: CHEST consensus statement.Chest. 2014; 146: e118S-e133S
- System-level planning, coordination, and communication: care of the critically ill and injured during pandemics and disasters: CHEST consensus statement.Chest. 2014; 146: e87S-e102S
- Interim infection prevention and control recommendations for patients with suspected or confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in healthcare settings.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/infection-control-recommendations.htmlDate: 2020Date accessed: May 11, 2020
- Healthcare workers and employers.
- 6 ways to address physician stress during COVID-19 pandemic.https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/6-ways-address-physician-stress-during-covid-19-pandemicDate: 2020Date accessed: April 5, 2020
- Managing healthcare workers' stress associated with the COVID-19 virus outbreak 2020.
- What is 'moral distress'? A narrative synthesis of the literature.Nurs Ethics. 2019; 26: 646-662
- Moral injury and the ethic of care: reframing the conversation about differences.J Soc Philos. 2014; 45: 89-106
- Moral injury: contextualized care.J Med Humanities. 2018; 39: 93-99
- Moral distress in PICU and neonatal ICU practitioners: a cross-sectional evaluation.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2017; 18: e318-e326
- Moral distress within neonatal and paediatric intensive care units: a systematic review.Arch Dis Child. 2016; 101: 701-708
- A qualitative study exploring moral distress among pediatric resuscitation team clinicians: challenges to professional integrity.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2016; 17: e303-e308
- Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto (CA)1986 (Maslach burnout inventory manual (2nd ed)) 2nd ed.
- Moral distress of clinicians in Canadian pediatric and neonatal ICUs.Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2020; 21: 314-323
- Moral injury or burnout?.South Med J. 2019; 112: 483
- The immediate psychological and occupational impact of the 2003 SARS outbreak in a teaching hospital.Can Med Assoc J. 2003; 168: 1245-1251
- Trust is a key factor in the willingness of health professionals to work during the COVID-19 outbreak: experience from the H1N1 pandemic in Japan 2009.Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2020; 74: 329-330
- Immediate Psychological Responses and Associated Factors during the Initial Stage of the 2019 Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Epidemic among the General Population in China.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 1729
- Factors associated with mental health outcomes among health care workers exposed to coronavirus disease 2019.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e203976
- Characteristics and Clinical Outcomes of Adult Patients Hospitalized with COVID-19 - Georgia, March 2020.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 545-550
- Presenting characteristics, comorbidities, and outcomes among 5700 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in the New York City area.JAMA. 2020; 323: 2052-2059
- Understanding and addressing sources of anxiety among health care professionals during the COVID-19 pandemic.JAMA. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
M.D. has publishing contracts with American Psychiatric Publishing and Oxford University Press. The other authors declare no conflicts of interest.