Abbreviations:CT ( Computed tomography), EGD ( Esophagogastroduodenoscopy), EHR ( Electronic health record), EoE ( Eosinophilic esophagitis), FGID ( Functional gastrointestinal disorder), GI ( Gastrointestinal), HIDA ( Hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid), HUT ( Head-up tilt), ICC ( Intraclass correlation coefficient), MRI ( Magnetic resonance imaging), OH ( Orthostatic hypotension), OI ( Orthostatic intolerance), POTS ( Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)
- Functional disorders: children and adolescents.Gastroenterology. 2016; 5: 181-185
- High prevalence of nausea in children with pain-associated functional gastrointestinal disorders: are Rome criteria applicable?.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013; 57: 311-315
- Nausea in children with functional abdominal pain predicts poor health outcomes in young adulthood.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 15: 706-711
- Gastrointestinal symptoms associated with orthostatic intolerance.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2005; 40: 425-428
- Chronic idiopathic nausea of childhood.J Pediatr. 2014; 164: 1104-1109
- Relationship among nausea, anxiety, and orthostatic symptoms in pediatric patients with chronic unexplained nausea.Exp Brain Res. 2014; 232: 2645-2650
- A million-dollar work-up for abdominal pain: is it worth it?.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010; 51: 579-583
- PROMIS. Obtain & Administer Measures.http://www.healthmeasures.net/exploremeasurement-systems/promis/obtain-administer-measuresDate accessed: August 29, 2019
- COMPASS 31: a refined and abbreviated composite autonomic symptom score.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 1196-1201
- PROMIS® pediatric self-report scales distinguish subgroups of children within and across six common pediatric chronic health conditions.Qual Life Res. 2015; 24: 2195-2208
- Development of six PROMIS pediatrics proxy-report item banks.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2012; 10: 22
- Tables of Summary Health Statistics for U.S. Children: 2018.National Health Interview Survey, 2019https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis/SHS/tables.htmDate accessed: November 15, 2020
- Consensus statement on the definition of orthostatic hypotension, neurally mediated syncope and the postural tachycardia syndrome.Clin Auton Res. 2011; 21: 69-72
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, National Health Interview Survey. https://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/NHIS/SHS/2018_SHS_Table_C-6.pdf. Accessed November 15, 2019.
- Concomitant functional gastrointestinal symptoms influence psychological status in Korean migraine patients.Gut Liver. 2013; 7: 668-674
- Sleep problems and functional disability in children with functional gastrointestinal disorders: an examination of the potential mediating effects of physical and emotional symptoms.BMC Gastroenterol. 2012; 12: 142
- Joint hypermobility: a common association with complex functional gastrointestinal disorders.J Pediatr. 2014; 165: 973-978
- Unexplained gastrointestinal symptoms and joint hypermobility: is connective tissue the missing link?.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2010; 22: 252-e278
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders in migrainous children: efficacy of flunarizine.Cephalalgia. 2006; 26: 1214-1219
- Fludrocortisone improves nausea in children with orthostatic intolerance.Clin Auton Res. 2011; 21: 419-423
- Effect of fludrocortisone acetate on chronic unexplained nausea and abdominal pain in children with orthostatic intolerance.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014; 59: 39-43
- Evaluation and treatment of functional constipation in infants and children: evidence-based recommendations from ESPGHAN and NASPGHAN.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014; 58: 258-274
- Emergency provider use of plain radiographs in the evaluation of pediatric constipation.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2019; 35: 624-629
- Abdominal ultrasonography in the diagnostic work-up in children with recurrent abdominal pain.Eur J Pediatr. 1997; 156: 787-788
- Waste in the US health care system: estimated costs and potential for savings.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1501-1509
- Development and validation of a nausea severity scale for assessment of nausea in children with abdominal pain-related functional gastrointestinal disorders.Children (Basel). 2018; 5: 68
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Portions of this study were presented at the European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (ESPGHAN) 52nd Annual Meeting, June 5-8, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland.
The other authors declare no conflicts of interest.
S.T. serves as a consultant for Takeda Pharmaceuticals. J.F. serves on the speakers' bureau for Mead Johnson.