Abbreviations:ANCOVA ( Analysis of covariance), CI ( Confidence interval), DT ( Diphtheria toxoid), DTaP ( Diphtheria–tetanus–acellular pertussis vaccine), ELISA ( Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay), EL.U ( ELISA units), FHA ( Filamentous hemagglutinin), GMC ( Geometric mean concentration), GMT ( Geometric mean titer), HepB ( Hepatitis B vaccine), HBsAg ( Hepatitis B surface antigen), Hib ( Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine), IPV ( Inactivated poliovirus vaccine), Lf ( Limit of flocculation unit), PCV-7 ( Pneumococcal 7-valent conjugate vaccine), PRN ( Pertactin), PRP ( Polyribosylribitol), PT ( Pertussis toxoid), TT ( Tetanus toxoid)
- Recommended childhood and adolescent immunization schedule: United States, 2006.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005; 54: Q1-Q4
- The use of combination vaccines has improved timeliness of vaccination in children.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2006; 25: 507-512
- A new DTPa-HBV-IPV vaccine co-administered with Hib, compared to a commercially available DTPw-IPV/Hib vaccine co-administered with HBV, given at 6, 10 and 14 weeks following HBV at birth.Vaccine. 2000; 19: 825-833
- Safety and immunogenicity of a pentavalent diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B and polio combination vaccine in infants.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2001; 20: 973-980
- Safety and reactogenicity of a novel DTPa-HBV-IPV combined vaccine given along with commercial Hib vaccines in comparison with separate concomitant administration of DTPa, Hib, and OPV vaccines in infants.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: e58
- Efficacy, safety and immunogenicity of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2000; 19: 187-195
- Prevnar prescribing information. Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Philadelphia, Pa2005
- Interval estimation for the difference between independent proportions: comparison of eleven methods.Stat Med. 1998; 17: 873-890
- The use of confidence or fiducial limits illustrated in the case of the binomial.Biometrika. 1934; 26: 404-413
- The safety, reactogenicity and immunogenicity of a 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (7VPnC) concurrently administered with a combination DTaP-IPV-Hib vaccine.Vaccine. 2003; 21: 3653-3662
- Safety and immunogenicity of heptavalent pneumococcal CRM197 conjugate vaccine in infants and toddlers.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1999; 18: 757-763
- Safety of a combination diphtheria, tetanus toxoid, acellular pertussis, hepatitis b, and inactivated polio vaccine coadministered with a 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and a Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine.Vaccine. 2006; (doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2006.11.008.)
Supported by a grant from GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Rixensart, Belgium. Editorial support was provided by Scientific Therapeutics Information, Inc, Springfield, New Jersey.
This trial is registered on the GlaxoSmithKline Clinical Trial Register (Study ID number 217744/085), available at: http://ctr.gsk.co.uk/Summary/Vaccine_Pediarix/studylist.asp.
The study design and collection of the data were performed by GlaxoSmithKline. All analyses were performed at the University of Rochester, Rochester, New York (MEP Laboratories), except for the analysis of the anti-Streptococcus pneumoniae antibody, which was performed at the GlaxoSmithKline Laboratory in Rixensart, Belgium. Interpretation of data, writing of the manuscript, and decision to submit the paper for publication was made by the authors with contribution from GlaxoSmithKline. No form of payment was provided to any of the authors in conjunction with development of this manuscript.