- Pediatric cough and cold preparations.Pediatr Rev. 2004; 25: 115-123
U. S. Food and Drug Administration Briefing information. Joint meeting on the Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee and the Pediatric Advisory Committee. October 18-19, 2007. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/07/briefing/2007-4323b1-00-index.htm. Accessed March 24, 2012.
Consumer Healthcare Products Association. Pediatric oral cough and cold medications. Available at: http://www.chpa-info.org/media/resources/r_4519.pdf#search=%22pediatric%22. Accessed March 15, 2012.
- Understanding the relative roles of pharmacogenetics and ontogeny in pediatric drug development and regulatory science.J Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 50: 1377-1387
- Over-the-counter medications for acute cough in children and adults in ambulatory settings.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; 4: CD001831
- Over-the-counter cold medications. A critical review of clinical trials between 1950 and 1991.JAMA. 1993; 269: 2258-2263
- Infant deaths associated with cough and cold medications-two states, 2005.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007; 56: 1-4
- Adverse events from cough and cold medications in children.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: 783-787
- Over the counter cough and cold medications for pediatric use; notice of public hearing.Fed Regist. 2008; 73: 50033-50036
- Public Health Advisory: nonprescription cough and cold medicine use in children.FDACDER, Rockville2008 (Available at:)Accessed March 24, 2012)
- Drug makers issue warning.Washington Post. 2008; : A02
Consumer Healthcare Products Association 2012. Children's OTC cough and cold medicines. Available at: http://www.chpa-info.org/issues/Childrens_CC_Overview.aspx. Accessed December 12, 2012.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration 2012. Using over-the-counter cough and cold products in children. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048515.htm. Accessed December 12, 2012.
- Impact of the voluntary withdrawal of over-the-counter cough and cold medications on pediatric ingestions reported to poison centers.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Safety. 2010; 19: 819-824
- Effect of cough and cold medication withdrawal and warning on ingestions by young children reported to Texas poison centers.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012; 28: 510-513
- Adverse events from cough and cold medications after a market withdrawal of products labeled for infants.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: 1100-1107
- 2010 Annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System (NPDS): 28th Annual Report.Clin Toxicol. 2011; 49: 910-941
U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. Annual Estimates of Resident Population by Sex and Age for the United States: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009. Available at: http://factfinder2.census.gov. Accessed May 15, 2012.
U.S. Census (2010). Resident Population of the 50 States, District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico: 2010 Census. Available at: http://2010.census.gov/news/press-kits/apportionment/apport.html. Accessed May 20, 2012.
- Physician and parent response to the FDA advisory about the use of over-the-counter cough and cold medications.Acad Pediatr. 2010; 10: 64-69
- Parent's decision following the Food and Drug Administration recommendation: the case of over-the-counter cough and cold medication.Child Care Health Dev. 2010; 36: 795-804
- One community's perspective on the withdrawal of cough and cold medications for infants and young children.Clin Pediatr. 2010; 49: 310-315
American Academy of Pediatrics 2012. Withdrawal of cold medicines: addressing parent concerns. Available at: http://www.aap.org/en-us/professional-resources/practice-support/Pages/Withdrawal-of-Cold-Medicines-Addressing-Parent-Concerns.aspx. Accessed December 13, 2012.
- Decrease in therapeutic errors involving prescription cough and cold medications in young children.J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 17: 84-87
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.