- Joint Principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home. American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Physicians, American Osteopathic Association, 2007 (http://www.aap.org/en-us/professional-resources/practice-support/quality-improvement/Documents/Joint-Principles-Patient-Centered-Medical-Home.pdf. Accessed May 23, 2013.)
- Standards and Guidelines for NCQA's Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) 2011.National Committee for Quality Assurance, Washington, DC2011
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Physician Group Incentive Program: Patient-Centered Medical Home Initiatives. 2010; Available at: http://www.bcbsm.com/provider/value_partnerships/pgip/medical_home.shtml. Accessed July 30, 2010.
TransforMED: Transforming Medical Practices. 2010; Available at: http://www.transformed.com/. Accessed July 30, 2010.
- Enhanced Access Implementation Guide: Providing the Care Patients Need, When They Need It.Qualis Health and the MacColl Institute for Healthcare Innovation at the Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA2010
- Closing the divide: how medical homes promote equity in health care--results from the Commonwealth Fund 2006 Health Care Quality Survey.The Commonwealth Fund, New York, NY2007
- Readiness for the patient-centered medical home: structural capabilities of Massachusetts primary care practices.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 162-169
- Measuring the medical home infrastructure in large medical groups.Health Aff. 2008; 27: 1246-1258
- Small and medium-size physician practices use few patient-centered medical home processes.Health Aff. 2011; 30: 1575-1584
- Medical home capabilities of primary care practices that serve sociodemographically vulnerable neighborhoods.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 938-945
- Elements of the patient-centered medical home in family practices in Virginia.Ann Fam Med. 2009; 7: 301-308
- Telephone consultation and triage: effects on health care use and patient satisfaction.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; 4: CD004180
- Pediatric telephone call centers: how do they affect health care use and costs?.Pediatrics. 2007; 119: e305-e313
- Emergency room utilization in the first 15 months of life: a randomized study.Pediatrics. 1979; 63: 486-490
Knowledge Networks. KnowledgePanel Design Summary. 2010; Available at: http://www.knowledgenetworks.com/knpanel/KNPanel-Design-Summary.html. Accessed April 6, 2012.
Blumberg SJ, Foster EB, Frasier AM, Satorius J, Skalland BJ, Nysse-Carris KL, et al. Design and Operation of the National Survey of Children's Health, 2007. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 1(55). 2012.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey: Survey Questionnaires - Household Component. Available at: http://meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/survey_comp/survey_questionnaires.jsp. Accessed April 6, 2012.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems - Clinician & Groups Surveys. Available at: http://www.cahps.ahrq.gov/Surveys-Guidance/CG.aspx. Accessed April 6, 2012.
- Parents’ preferences for enhanced access to the pediatric medical home: a qualitative study.J Ambulatory Care Manage. 2013; 36: 2-12
- Validity of maternal report of acute health care use for children younger than 3 years.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159: 167-172
- What is the prevalence of children with special health care needs? toward an understanding of variations in findings and methods across three national surveys.Matern Child Health J. 2008; 12: 1-14
- The medical home.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 184-186
- Revisiting the behavioral model and access to medical care: does it matter.J Health Soc Behav. 1995; 36: 1-10
- Appropriateness of children's nonurgent visits to selected Michigan emergency departments.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2007; 23: 532-536
- Health care use and expenditures associated with access to the medical home for children and youth.Med Care. 2012; 50: 262-269
- Quality of primary care and subsequent pediatric emergency department utilization.Pediatrics. 2007; 119: 1131-1138
Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative. Data Resource Center for Child and Adolescent Health: 2007 National Survey of Children's Health. Available at: http://www.childhealthdata.org/. Accessed April 6, 2012.
- Low-Income Parents' Views on the Redesign of Well-Child Care.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: 194-204
- Standards and Guidelines for Physician Practice Connections—Patient-Centered Medical Home (PPC-PCMH). National Committee for Quality Assurance, Washington, DC2008
- Revolution or evolution: the challenges of conceptualizing patient and public involvement in a consumerist world.Health Expectations. 2009; 12: 275-287
- User involvement in change management: a review of the literature.National Co-ordinating Centre for NHS Service Delivery and Organisation Research and Development, London2003
- If you build it, will they come? Designing truly patient-centered health care.Health Aff. 2010; 29: 914-920
- A house is not a home: keeping patients at the center of practice redesign.Health Aff. 2008; 27: 1219-1230
Supported by a grant from the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation , a philanthropic affiliate of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Independent peer-reviewers of the grant application provided suggestions on details of the study design and proposed analyses, but the authors had final say. Neither the sponsors nor the reviewers had any involvement in the initial research proposal, actual data collection, final analysis, interpretation, writing of the manuscript, or decision to submit the paper for publication. Development of the survey was supported by a seed grant through the Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research at the University of Michigan ( UL1RR024986 ). J.Z. was supported by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development ( T32 HD07534 ). The authors declare no conflicts of interest.